Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Every Ending is a New Beginning

Hey guys - sorry I haven't posted in a few days!  I've been enjoying a few days off, just lounging around... :)  So this post is on my new and improved room (bed).  My dad's father died over the summer, and his mom has since moved into an assisted living facility; her eyes have deteriorated so much that it's made it nearly impossible to live on her own, not to mention there's a flight of stairs down to her house from street-level.  Since she has moved out, we will be putting the house on the market late next month/early March, and all of the items in the house have to go somewhere.  So I spent yesterday at the house in Berkeley rummaging through books, kitchenware, bedding, paintings, odds & ends... deciding what I wanted to keep before everything else was put up in an estate sale.

A few weeks ago, my dad asked me about the bed (a queen) that was in his childhood room (after the Berkeley hills fire, it became the guest room); he wondered if I might want to inherit it.  The words were barely out of his mouth when I was practically like, Yes! Yes! Pick me! Pick me!  After spending a few hours cleaning my room last night (you'll see why in a moment), we dismantled my twin bed and its frame this morning, and installed my new queen bed!  I am so.  Totally.  Ecstatic.  Beyond words.  It's been pretty much my lifelong dream to have a bed that is bigger than a twin, since I stand at 5'10" and always touch the end of my bed.  Not to mention that having a bigger bed is so much better.

I also inherited a bookshelf from my grandparents' house, so I spent most of this afternoon filling it and reconfiguring my room to accomodate the bed that now takes up about half the space in my room.  Of course, after my mom and I made a trip to Bed, Bath & Beyond to find new bedding (SO IN LOVE.)

So, without further ado, here are before and after pictures (listed in that order) of my bedroom makeover.
Is it just me, or are the first two pictures reminiscent of reality TV shows that makeover the interior of people's homes?



Mostly I'm thrilled that this space finally has something that ties the entire room together; almost like a centerpiece, if you will.  It was very much lacking one before.  All of my furniture never quite seemed to fit the theme that I've always envisioned for my room, or fit the wall colors.  Now, four of six pieces (two bookshelves, the headboard, and dresser) are the same color wood; my white desk reflects the white in my comforter and pillows; and in turn, the bedding complements the wall colors.  Perfection!

And the only reason I included the second-to-last picture of my new bookshelf is because I'm really excited that all of my textbooks now have a home (including my hot pink calculator!).  For the first time ever (after three semesters) they are no longer sitting in stacks on the floor.  So happy!  Now my desk area has a bit of a scholarly feel.  ;)  I'm also really excited that I can now proudly display my snowboard; before, I had stood it at the end of my bed behind all kinds of stuff on the floor..  Never again! (especially after how much I paid for it!)
  
Also, if you were wondering, the International Star Registry certificates were a birthday present from Will last year.  He named one in honor of me, in Aries (my astrological sign), and the other for my dog, Sydney, who died on Valentine's Day last year.  Hers (as you can imagine) is in Canis Major.  As you saw, before today, they had assorted homes on bookcases, but never hung.  I'm really glad that I finally have, and get to look straight at them as I lie in bed.

Anyway, that's about it.  I've barely gotten off my bed all day, and can't wait to test-run it tonight!  For the first time in almost 20 years I'll get to sleep in a big bed of my own.... I'm practically drooling just thinking about it.  :)

Cheers!  xx
currently listening to.... Bring Me to Life - Evanescence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! I appreciate it more than you know. xx