Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

DIY Tutorial: Yarn Vase


So I spent my afternoon being extremely crafty in making this vase (it isn't really, but it's much nicer to say than pens-needles-and-odds-and-ends-holder), and thought I would create a tutorial on it so you can make one (or five) too!

Here's what you're going to need:
1. //  At least two colors of yarn (I used five)
2. //  Craft glue
3. //  Your choice of container: milk carton, soup can, etc.
4. //  Scissors
5. //  Paper towels (you will end up with glue on your hands.  No doubt about it)


1. //  Begin to apply glue in a strip down one side of your container.  Conventional wisdom might tell you to apply glue everywhere, but this is really unnecessary and will only create a huge mess.

  
2. //  Begin wrapping the yarn around your container, applying glue as you go, so it doesn't start to dry before you apply the yarn on it.  Every few wraps, be sure to push the yarn up, squishing it as close together as possible.  This ensures you won't have any space between the strands, which hides the container and makes applying the dots later on easier.


3. //  Once you've wrapped the entirety of your container, cut the yarn and glue the end in place.


4. //  Apply glue onto your base yarn in approximately the size you want your dot to be.


5. //  Carefully wrap the yarn in a circle around itself, pressing it into the glue as you go.  This took me a few times before I got into a rhythm, so don't give up if it doesn't come out perfect the first time!  Create as many dots as you want, in any size you want, and you're done!
 

I hope you have as much fun with this as I did!  xx
currently listening to.... Flake - Jack Johnson

2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! and it seems pretty easy too! now i just need to find some yarn....! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! I appreciate it more than you know. xx