Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Solar Eclipse


I'm soo sorry it's been so long since I posted!  My days are still literally jam-packed.  Between classes, work, and the gym, literally the only free time I have is after 10 PM.  And you can't really take blog pictures that late!  :(  But, to make up for it, today's post is about the solar eclipse that happened yesterday!  I drove up north for a few hours to see the annular eclipse (when the moon covers 95% of the sun, leaving a "ring of fire" around it), but didn't quite get far enough to see the ring, but it was pretty close!  Quite worth the drive.  Especially since the next annular eclipse that will be visible from the US won't happen until 2023!  If you're wondering, the last one was in 1994.

It was so eerie though!  At the maximum point of the eclipse at 6:30 PM, the lighting everywhere was almost like twilight.  You know how you can adjust the contrast and brightness of a photo in Photoshop together?  It was just like someone had turned down the brightness on the world.  So. strange.  Anyway, these are some of my favorite pictures from the trip!  And if you're confused by the eclipse picture:  the reason the sky is black is because that picture was taken from behind solar eclipse glasses, which block out 99.99% of all light.  Without them, the sun looked normal, like in the last picture.  That one was taken only moments after the maximum eclipse.

So that's it for now - I promise I will be back after Wednesday (my last final!).  Until then..!  xx

currently listening to.... Over You - Daughtry

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You take such beautiful pictures! I wish I could... I have absolutely no skills in photography but am insanely jealous of those who do. So gorgeous. You're lucky you got to see the solar eclipse so welL! We couldn't really see it from where we're at... Bummer.

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been a photographer for five years, so I have lots of experience. :) All it takes is practice!

      I know, it really was lucky that the path of the eclipse fell across the northern end of California, so close to where I live (within a few hours, at least). The next time an annular eclipse happens the path of it will go through Oregon! Much too far to travel to see it, so I made a point to drive to see this one. :)

      Thanks for following!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! I appreciate it more than you know. xx