Powered by Blogger.

Monday, November 21, 2011

New York 11/21

     Here are some of my favorite pictures from today!  I know there's a lot, but I couldn't narrow it down any farther.  Considering that these came from a batch of 260 images, I'd say 16 is pretty good!  :)

     Today we visited The High Line, an elevated freight train line that opened around the 1920s that served primarily the meatpacking industry.  It ran until 1987, because by then almost all freight in the city arrived via trucks. In the late 90s, the city of New York was going to tear it down because it was an eyesore, but local residents banded together to form Friends of the High Line, and began submitting donations to restore it.  It opened to the public in June of 2009 as a public park, and is absolutely stunning.  I'm just bummed we didn't walk farther down it!

     After lunch at a small pizza joint called John's Pizza, we took the subway to a few blocks away from the World Trade Center memorial site, which was breathtaking!  I've been wanting to visit Ground Zero since 9/11 happened, and standing at the edges of the waterfalls that stand in the footprints of the towers, I was utterly speechless.  It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, and would go back every day if I could.


     Tomorrow we have yet another ridiculously long day ahead of us... By the time we fly home at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, I'm going to be practically dead from exhaustion!  Although doing all these excursions has been really fun, and I'm totally stoked that I'm spending 4.5 days in New York City, I miss home.  This is too big of a city for me; too many people, too much concrete.  I can't wait to see the rolling hills of Marin again.

xx
currently listening to....  Learning to Fly - Lady Antebellum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! I appreciate it more than you know. xx